Carnets de l’Ifpo

لَقِّم المحتوى
La recherche en train de se faire à l’Institut français du Proche-Orient
آخر تحديث: منذ 5 أيام 10 ساعات

So long, Bel

6 November, 2015 - 13:50

In memoriam, Palmyra (6 April 32 – 28 August 2015)

Translation from the French version : «Bel est bien mort»

«But that temple, so magnificent and so large, not to mention the wonderful structure of the roof, and the many brass statues, now hid in darkness out of the light of the sun, is quite perished. »

Libanius, Oration 30: For the temples (Pro templis) (4th c. AD)

Fig. 1: The Temple of Bel in 2007, from the south-east (photo: Ifpo).

Since the monumental arch in Palmyra has, in its turn, just been reduced to dust, a new and dismaying stage in the systematic destruction of the remains of this ancient city, we would like to review the rich and complex history of one of the previous victims of the so-called “Islamic State” (IS), namely the Temple of Bel. Almost 2000 years old, the main sanctuary of the ancient city has recently gained posthumous notoriety, when IS destroyed it, with the use of much explosive, after most probably having stripped it of its transportable and saleable sculptures. It was the jewel of Palmyra’s monuments, and one of the best preserved ancient temples in the Near East (fig. 1). If the media gave this destruction wide coverage and insisted on the monument’s importance for ancient history, few highlighted the fact that, over the course of its twenty centuries of existence, it had known several lives. Originally a pagan temple, it was transformed into a church and, a few centuries later, changed into a mosque, a function it served for the next 800 years or more. It is an irony of history that it was the transformation of this monument according to the needs of the dominant cults that allowed it to cross the centuries and reach down to us in such good condition – that is until its utter destruction on the 28th August 2015.

Fig. 2: Le temple de Bel à Palmyre, by Henri SEYRIG, Robert AMY and Ernest WILL. Monograph published by Ifpo (then IFAPO) in 1968 (album) and 1975 (text and plates), in the Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique series (BAH 83).

In the introduction to the monograph dedicated to the temple published by the Institut français d’archéologie du Proche-Orient (IFAPO), Ernest Will wrote: “The work of the unknown master who conceived the edifice and of the artisans and workers who gave it shape, has received recognition worthy of their efforts in this book of plates (…). It alone would suffice to guarantee the survival of the monument.” The director of IFAPO did not think his words would ring so true and the two volumes of Le temple de Bel à Palmyre (1968 and 1975, BAH 83) stand today as the best witness to the majesty of this edifice (Fig. 2).

The house of Bel, Yarhibol and Aglibol (1st–4th centuries AD)

During the first part of its history, the monument was dedicated to the divine triad of Palmyra: Bel, the supreme god, Yaribol, the sun god, and Aglibol, the moon god. Remains of this edifice dated to the first centuries AD, but an older sanctuary already used this place in the Hellenistic period. Excavations by the Syrian archaeologist Michel Al-Maqdissi on the man-made hill (tell) on which this sanctuary stood, show that this was probably already a sacred space as far back as the 2nd millennium BC.

Fig. 3: Suggested reconstruction of the Temple of Bel in Palmyra, perspective view from the south-west corner of the courtyard (SEYRIG, AMY, WILL 1975, pl. 141).

Between 1929 and 1932, two archaeologists working for the Service des Antiquités de Syrie et du Liban, Henri Seyrig and Robert Amy, undertook a detailed study of this exceptional monument. An inscription discovered during their research places the date of the temple’s consecration – or perhaps simply of one if its cultic niches (thalamos) – to the 6th April 32 AD. It also became clear that the various elements of this architectural complex had been built and modified many times between the beginning of the 1st and the 3rd century. The Roman-era sanctuary consisted of a temple placed in the centre of an immense courtyard of four hectares, adorned with porticoes. Surrounded by a typically Greco-Roman peristyle, the temple’s core consisted of a cella whose design, by contrast, was clearly dictated by Semitic cultic practices. This hybrid temple, which combined Mediterranean architectural models from the Roman period with traits of more ancient local influence, was one of the most beautiful examples of the syncretism that can be seen in many Near Eastern monuments. By destroying its main building (Fig. 3) – the cella of the temple, in which the statues of the divinities would originally have been housed – IS has also caused the loss of numerous, often exceptional, decorated blocks (representations of gods, processions etc.), which taught us about life and religion in ancient Palmyra.

Saint-Mary-of-Palmyra? (6th-8th centuries)

Fig. 4: Remains from the large Christian figurative scene on the interior of the west wall of the Temple of Bel (photo A. Schmidt-Colinet, in JASTRZEBOWSKA 2013, fig. 7).

At the end of the 4th century, Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire. In the decades and centuries that followed, some pagan temples were destroyed while others were transformed into churches as a way of imposing the new religion and of reusing large, disused monuments in the towns and villages. Such was the case for the Temple of Bel, which went through a phase of Christian use between the 5th–6th century until the 8th century. Remains of coloured frescoes, probably dating to the 6th century, were still visible on the walls of the ancient temple, along with two crosses. The south lodge of the ancient cella seems to have been transformed into a choir. On the west , a figurative scene depicted five carefully painted people (Fig. 4). According to archaeologist E. Jastrzębowska, it represented the Mother of God holding the divine child on her knees, surrounded by an angel and two saints. One of the two saints could perhaps have represented Saint Sergius, a young martyr venerated in the area, particularly by the Arab tribes. There were inscriptions engraved on the ancient cella walls, including one in which a certain Lazarus “servant of God” greets the “Holy Mother of God, full of grace”. E. Jastrzębowska therefore suggests that the church had been dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

A mosque eight centuries old (12th–20th centuries)

For four hundred years, between the 8th and 12th centuries, the monument seems to have been abandoned. Then in 1132–1133, following the take-over of the town by the Muslim dynasty of the Burids, the enclosure wall of the ancient sanctuary was fortified, and its temenos, the ancient sacred enclosure, became a fortress. It is perhaps at this time that, inside and in the immediately surrounding area, a proper village began to develop. The central edifice, then still standing, sheltered a mosque within its walls (Fig. 5). It is thought that its installation here was the work of Abul Hasan Yusuf, son of Firuz, the representative in Palmyra of the princes of Damascus, who was also responsible for transforming the ancient sanctuary into a fortress. This mosque was rebuilt once or twice over the course of its long existence. Several Arabic inscriptions were discovered in the edifice, two of which, dated to the 12th and 13th centuries, indicate these restoration works. The ‘third life’ of the monument, during which it served the Muslim religion, lasted more than eight centuries. It ended only with the beginning of the archaeological excavations by the Service des Antiquités de Syrie et du Liban in 1932.

Fig. 5: Longitudinal cross-section of the Temple of Bel, showing the medieval reoccupations in the porticoes and cella (after WIEGANG 1932, p. 83).

1930: the death of a village and the birth of a historic monument

The creation of the Service des Antiquités de Syrie et du Liban was a direct consequence of the establishment of the French Mandate in Syria in 1920. In order to begin archaeological excavations in the temple enclosure the Department decided, in 1929, to remove the inhabitants of the village, whose houses were crowded around the temple, and rehouse them in a modern village built to the north of the ancient city walls. The temple, which was already clearly visible, had previously been the object of a monographic study, beginning in 1902, the monumental work Palmyra. Ergebnisse der Expeditionen von 1902 und 1917 (Th. Wiegand, Berlin, 1932). The drawings and photographs presented in this work are, with a few photos from the collection of old photographs kept in Ifpo, the only evidence of the medieval structures in the sanctuary of Bel. The intention behind the destruction of the village in the temenos was to restore the monumentality of the original sanctuary and, for the same reason, the renovations of the temple when it was converted to a mosque were also dismantled.

In addition to the works of Wiegand, the publication by Henri Seyrig, Robert Amy and Ernest Will, today provides us with an exemplary and exhaustive graphic document despite the disappearance of the temple – this is but small consolation to render the current destructions a little less bitter. The temple was partly restored, in particular the entranceway, which was consolidated in 1932 (Fig. 6). Indeed, it is thanks to this restoration, and the use of reinforced concrete, that the entranceway has resisted destruction and now stands alone on the podium of the razed temple.

Finally, the opening-up of Syria to mass tourism and the inclusion of Palmyra on the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1980 turned the Temple of Bel into a major tourist site, and archaeological work continued there until recently.

Fig. 6: Restoration of the temple entrance in 1932. View of the whole worksite from the north-west (photo by Ifpo) and isometric drawing of the upper parts showing the elements in reinforced concrete (ECOCHARD, Syria 18, 1937, fig. XXXV).

2015, a death foretold?

There are many parallels for the chronology of the various incarnations of the Temple of Bel, and particularly for the processes undertaken reassigning its use. Many ancient buildings have only managed to reach us because of successive reoccupations. Such monuments owe their survival to these transformations which, by making them useful, saved them from abandonment and dismantlement. This practice seems almost systematic in the case of religious structures: the sacred dimension of a place, its context, is often perpetuated over the course of its reoccupations. The example of the Umayyad mosque in Damascus is representative and comparable to the story of the Temple of Bel: initially a huge Roman sanctuary dedicated to Jupiter, the monument was transformed into a church dedicated to St John the Baptist in the Byzantine period, and then became the main mosque of the Umayyad caliphate in the early 8th century. The economic importance of the city, as well as its status as the capital, have made a major edifice of this mosque.

Palmyra, however, is not Damascus, and the small scale of the occupation no doubt guided the choices made by the archaeologists of the 1930s. Judged to be insignificant by comparison to the monument that framed it, the village was sacrificed in accordance with the selective logic of heritage at the time. Of what was then considered to be ‘squatter’ architecture, devoid of importance or historical interest, virtually nothing remains since, unfortunately, the destruction was not accompanied by any systematic documentation. The aerial photos of the time barely allow one to make out the dense network of village alleyways or to follow the progress of the demolition on what must have been a gigantic work site (Fig. 7).

Fig. 7: Aerial views of the sanctuary of Bel, before and during its clearance (photos by Ifpo), before and after its destruction (satellite photos Unitar-Unosat from 27 and 31 August 2015). Presentation Th. Fournet.

Only one house, seemingly that of the mukhtar (equivalent of the mayor), was saved in the south-east corner of the temenos and was transformed into a dig house (Fig. 8). No doubt the idea of the archaeologists was not to preserve a witness of what had once been, but rather to maintain on-site accommodation in one of the most beautiful houses of the village.

Fig. 8: The “house of the archaeologists” in the south-east corner of the temenos of the sanctuary of Bel, the only remnant of the village which once occupied the site (photo by Ifpo, c. 1935?).

What should we think about the choice made in the 1930s to displace a village and its mosque in favour of displaying a Roman temple? With hindsight, it clearly reflects the hierarchy of periods and historical remains practised by archaeologists in the first half of the 20th century, who, on principle, favoured the ancient over the medieval, the monumental over the vernacular, the religious over the secular. Various international charters which have been drawn up since have done much to develop this concept of our ancient heritage. It seems evident to us – at least we hope so – that if the question of the presentation of the Temple of Bel were to be considered again to day, a less radical choice would be adopted. The Athens Charter of 1931 expresses it clearly when it recommends “maintaining the occupation of monuments, which ensures the continuation of their lives”. To empty the sanctuary of Bel of its medieval village, however modest it was, to allow the temple to regain its ancient integrity, its ‘resurrection’ as Ernest Will wrote, was in fact closer to taxidermy: the monument, transformed, reused, but still ‘inhabited’, suffered its first death by becoming a ruin, however superb it was.

One question remains, even if it seems pointless in the face of the barbarity and stupidity of today’s happenings: how would the assassins of IS have seen the sanctuary of Bel if the choice made by the French archaeologists of the early 20th century had been different? If the temple, rather than being restored and frozen in its antique state, had be preserved in the heart of an inhabited village? Would they have seen it as the representative of a heritage declared universal by ‘western’ culture, which they defy, indeed as a heritage earmarked for symbolic destruction?

Its imposing entranceway today stands alone above a pile of debris, like a monument dedicated to its own memory, to that of our mourned and respected colleague Khaled Al-Asaad, to that of the Temple of Baalshamin, the monumental arch and so many other destroyed monuments, in Palmyra and elsewhere. Our thoughts, we the archaeologists of Ifpo, go to all the Palmyrans, to all the Syrians, who for more than four years have been suffering in their beings, in their souls and even in their stones.


(translation Isabelle RUBEN)

The authors would like to thank Frédéric Alpi, Jean-Baptiste Yon, Maurice Sartre and Annie Sartre-Fauriat for editing this text.

Further reading:
  • On line: Palmyre, fouilles archéologiques (Fanny Arlandis) / Photo Library of Ifpo (MediHAL)
  • Ecochard Michel, « Consolidation et restauration du portail du temple de Bêl à Palmyre », Syria 18, 1937, p. 298-307.
  • Hammad Manar, “Le sanctuaire de Bel à Tadmor-Palmyre”, dans Lire l’espace, comprendre l’architecture, 2006 (accessible on line)
  • Jastrzębowska Elżbieta, « Christianisation of Palmyra: Early Byzantine Church in the temple of Bel », Studia Palmyreńskie 12, Fifty Years of Polish Excavations in Palmyra 1959-2009, International Conference, Warsaw, 6-8 December 2010, 2013, p. 177-191.
  • Sartre Annie et Maurice , Zénobie, de Palmyre à Rome, Paris, 2014.
  • Sauvaget Jean, « Les inscriptions arabes du temple de Bel à Palmyre », Syria 12, 1931, p. 143-54
  • Seyrig Henri, Amy Robert, Will Ernest, Le Temple de Bêl à Palmyre, 2 vol. (Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique 83), Paris, 1968-1975.
  • Wiegang Theodor (ed.), Palmyra. Ergebnisse der Expeditionen von 1902 und 1917, 2 vol., Berlin, 1932 (accessible on line).
  • Yon Jean-Baptiste, Les notables de Palmyre (Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique 163), Beirut, 2002 (accessible on line).
  • Yon Jean-Baptiste, As’ad Khaled, with contribution by Fournet Thibaud, Inscriptions de Palmyre : promenades épigraphiques dans la ville antique de Palmyre, Beirut, 2001.
To cite this posting: C. Durand, Th. Fournet, P. Piraud-Fournet, « So long, Bel. In memoriam, Palmyra (6 April 32 – 28 August 2015) », Les Carnets de l’Ifpo. La recherche en train de se faire à l’Institut français du Proche-Orient (, November **th, 2015. [On  line]

Caroline Durand is an archaeologist, and has been a researcher at Ifpo Amman since September 2012. Her doctoral thesis (Lyon 2) investigated the role of the Nabataean kingdom in the caravan and maritime networks linking the Near East with the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean basin during the Hellenistic and Roman periods. Her interest in commercial and cultural exchanges in Antiquity led her to specialise in the study of archaeological material, ceramics in particular. As a pottery specialist, she collaborates with several archaeological projects, at Dharih, Petra (Jordan), Mada’in Saleh, Dumat (Saudi Arabia) and Failaka (Kuwait).

Thibaud Fournet is an architect and archaeologist with the CNRS, currently posted to Ifpo, Amman (Jordan). His work is mainly concerned with the architecture and urbanisation of the ancient Mediterranean world and, more particularly, with the Greco-Roman Near East (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt). For many years he has collaborated with the French archaeological expedition in southern Syria (Bosra, aux portes de l’Arabie) and for several years has been carrying out research on the history of collective bathing in the eastern Mediterranean, from the Greek balaneia and Roman baths to the contemporary hammams. In particular, he has worked on “Diocletian’s baths” in Palmyra.

Pauline Piraud-Fournet is an archaeologist and is working on her doctorate in archaeology (Paris IV-Sorbonne) on dwellings in late antiquity in Syria. She gained a diploma in architecture (ENSAL) in order to specialise in the research of ancient architecture. For many years she has been working with Ifpo, the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the CNRS on archaeological sites in the Near East (Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, including Palmyra), in Tunisia, and in Egypt, with particular focus on sanctuaries, funerary architecture and dwellings. From 2006 to 2012, she held the post of architect for the scientific department of Archéologie et histoire de l’Antiquité of Ifpo, in Damascus, then in Amman.

التصنيفات: Ifpo

Bel est bien mort

5 October, 2015 - 14:58

In memoriam, Palmyre (6 avril 32 – 28 août 2015)

« Cependant ce temple si beau et si grand — et je ne parle pas des beautés cachées de son plafond ni de ses nombreuses statues de fer qui étaient recelées dans l’ombre loin du soleil — ce temple est détruit, il est perdu. »

Libanios, Discours XXX, 45, Pro Templis (ive s.)


Fig. 1 : Le temple de Bel en 2007, depuis le sud-est (cliché Ifpo).

Alors que l’arc monumental de Palmyre vient à son tour d’être réduit en poussière, nouvelle et désolante étape de la destruction systématique des vestiges de cette cité antique, nous avons souhaité revenir sur l’histoire riche et complexe de l’une des précédentes victimes dudit « État islamique » (E.I.), le temple de Bel. Âgé de presque 2000 ans, le sanctuaire principal de l’antique cité a lui aussi connu ces dernières semaines une notoriété posthume, lorsque l’E.I. l’a détruit à grands renforts d’explosifs, après l’avoir très probablement dépouillé des éléments de sculpture transportables et monnayables. Fleuron des monuments de Palmyre, il était l’un des temples antiques les mieux préservés du Proche-Orient (fig. 1). Si les médias sont revenus largement sur cette destruction en insistant sur l’importance du monument pour l’histoire antique, peu ont mis en avant le fait qu’au cours de ses vingt siècles d’existence il connut plusieurs vies. Temple païen à l’origine, il fut transformé en église et, quelques siècles plus tard, réaménagé en mosquée, fonction qu’il conserva pendant plus de 800 ans. Ironie de l’histoire, c’est la transformation de ce monument, au gré des cultes dominants, qui lui avait permis de traverser les siècles et de parvenir jusqu’à nous en si bon état, jusqu’à son irrémédiable destruction le 28 août dernier.

Fig. 2 : Le temple de Bel à Palmyre, de Henri SEYRIG, Robert AMY et Ernest WILL. Monographie publiée par l’Ifpo (alors IFAPO) en 1968 (album) et 1975 (texte et planches), dans la Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique (BAH 83).

Dans l’introduction de la publication monographique que l’Institut français d’archéologie du Proche-Orient (IFAPO) lui a consacré, Ernest Will écrivait : « L’œuvre du maître inconnu qui conçut l’édifice, celle des artisans et des ouvriers qui lui donnèrent corps a reçu une consécration digne de leurs efforts dans l’album de planches (…). À lui seul, il suffirait à garantir la survie du monument ». Le directeur de l’IFAPO ne croyait pas si bien dire et les deux volumes de l’ouvrage Le temple de Bel à Palmyre (1968 et 1975, BAH 83) restent aujourd’hui le meilleur témoignage de la majesté de cet édifice (fig. 2).

La demeure de Bel, Yarhibôl et Aglibôl (Ier-IVe siècles)

Au cours de la première partie de son histoire, le monument était dédié à la triade divine palmyrénienne : Bel, le dieu suprême, Yarhibôl, le dieu Soleil et Aglibôl, le dieu Lune. Les vestiges de l’édifice dataient des premiers siècles de notre ère, mais un sanctuaire plus ancien occupait déjà les lieux à l’époque hellénistique. Les fouilles menées par l’archéologue syrien Michel Al-Maqdissi sur la colline artificielle (tell) qui accueillait ce sanctuaire indiquent même qu’un espace sacré existait sans doute là dès le 2e millénaire av. J.-C.

Fig. 3 : Proposition de restitution du temple de Bel à Palmyre, vue perspective depuis l’angle sud-ouest de la cour (SEYRIG, AMY, WILL 1975, pl. 141).

Entre 1929 et 1932, deux archéologues du Service des Antiquités de Syrie et du Liban, Henri Seyrig et Robert Amy, entreprirent l’étude approfondie de ce monument exceptionnel. Une inscription découverte au cours de leurs recherches place la date de consécration du temple – ou peut-être simplement de l’une de ses niches cultuelles (thalamos) – au 6 avril 32 apr. J.-C. De même, il apparut que les différents éléments du complexe architectural avaient été construits et remaniés à maintes reprises, entre le début du ier siècle et le iiie siècle. Le sanctuaire d’époque romaine consistait en un temple placé au centre d’une immense cour de quatre hectares, entourée de portiques. L’architecture du temple présentait, au sein d’une enveloppe composée d’un péristyle de type tout à fait gréco-romain, une cella dont les aménagements répondaient, quant à eux, à des pratiques de culte manifestement sémitiques. Ce temple hybride, qui associait les modèles architecturaux méditerranéens de l’époque romaine à des traits d’influences locales plus anciens, était l’un des plus beaux exemples du syncrétisme que l’on peut observer dans un grand nombre de monuments du Proche-Orient. En détruisant le bâtiment principal (fig. 3) – la cella du temple, où se trouvaient à l’origine des statues des divinités –, l’E.I. a également entraîné la perte de nombreux blocs décorés, souvent exceptionnels, qui nous renseignaient sur la vie et la religion dans l’antique Palmyre (représentation des dieux, processions…).

Sainte-Marie-de-Palmyre ? (VIe-VIIIe siècles)

Fig. 4 : Vestiges de la grande scène figurative chrétienne sur le mur intérieur ouest du temple de Bel (photo A. Schmidt-Colinet, in JASTRZEBOWSKA 2013, fig. 7).

À la fin du ive s., le christianisme devint la religion officielle de l’Empire romain. Dans les décennies et siècles qui suivirent, des temples païens furent détruits, d’autres transformés en églises – une façon d’imposer la nouvelle religion et de remployer les grands monuments désaffectés des villes et des campagnes. Ce fut le cas du temple de Bel, qui connut une phase d’occupation chrétienne entre le ve – vie siècles et le viiie siècle. Des vestiges de fresques colorées datant probablement du vie siècle étaient toujours visibles sur le mur ouest de l’ancien temple, de même que deux croix. La loge sud de l’ancienne cella semble avoir été transformée en chœur. Sur le mur ouest, une scène figurative laissait voir cinq personnages, peints avec soin (fig. 4). Selon l’archéologue E. Jastrzębowska, elle aurait représenté la Mère de Dieu tenant l’enfant divin sur les genoux, entourés d’un ange et de deux saints. L’une de ces deux dernières figures aurait pu représenter Saint Serge, un jeune martyr vénéré dans la région, par les tribus arabes particulièrement. Des inscriptions étaient gravées sur les murs de l’antique cella, dont une où un certain Lazare « serviteur de Dieu » salue la « Sainte Mère de Dieu, pleine de grâce ». E. Jastrzębowska propose ainsi que l’église ait été dédiée à la Vierge Marie.

Une mosquée vieille de huit siècles (XIIe-XXe siècles)

Pendant quatre siècles, du viiie au xiie s., le monument semble avoir été abandonné. En 1132-1133, suite à la prise de la ville par la dynastie musulmane des Bourides, l’enceinte de l’ancien sanctuaire fut fortifiée et son temenos, l’enclos antique sacré, devint une forteresse. C’est peut-être à cette époque que commença de se développer, à l’intérieur et aux abords immédiats, un véritable village. L’édifice central, alors debout, abrita dans ses murs une mosquée (fig. 5). On suppose que son installation fut le fait du représentant à Palmyre des princes de Damas, Abûl Hasan Yûsuf fils de Fîrûz, celui-là même qui transforma l’ancien sanctuaire en une forteresse. Cette mosquée fut rebâtie une ou deux fois au cours de sa longue existence. Plusieurs inscriptions arabes ont été découvertes dans l’édifice, deux d’entre elles, datées des xiie et xiiie siècles, signalent ces restaurations. La « troisième vie » du monument, mise au service du culte musulman, dura plus de huit siècles. Elle ne s’acheva qu’avec le début des fouilles archéologiques entreprises par le Service des Antiquités de Syrie et du Liban en 1932.

Fig. 5 : Coupe longitudinale sur le temple de Bel, mise en évidence des réoccupations médiévales dans les portiques et la cella (d’après WIEGANG 1932, p. 83).

1930 : mort d’un village et naissance d’un monument historique

La création du Service des Antiquités de Syrie et du Liban est une conséquence directe de la mise en place du mandat français en Syrie en 1920. Afin de permettre le début des fouilles archéologiques dans l’enceinte du temple, ce service décida en 1929 de déloger les habitants du village, dont les maisons étaient agglomérées autour du temple, pour les reloger dans un village moderne édifié au nord de l’enceinte de la ville antique. Le temple, déjà bien visible, avait pourtant fait l’objet dès 1902 d’une première étude monographique, dans l’ouvrage monumental Palmyra. Ergebnisse der Expeditionen von 1902 und 1917 (Th. Wiegand, Berlin, 1932). Les relevés et photographies présentés dans cet ouvrage sont, avec quelques clichés du fond de photographies anciennes conservées à l’Ifpo, les seuls témoignages des aménagements médiévaux du sanctuaire de Bel. La destruction du village installé dans le temenos avait pour but la restitution de la monumentalité du sanctuaire initial et, pour cette même raison, les aménagements dont le temple avait fait l’objet lors de sa transformation en mosquée furent démontés.

Complémentaire des travaux de Wiegand, la publication réalisée par Henri Seyrig, Robert Amy et Ernest Will, permet aujourd’hui de disposer, malgré la disparition du temple, d’un dossier graphique exemplaire et exhaustif, maigre consolation qui rend un peu moins amère les destructions actuelles. Le temple fut partiellement restauré, la porte d’entrée en particulier, qui bénéficia d’une consolidation en 1932 (fig. 6). C’est d’ailleurs grâce à celle-ci, et à l’utilisation de béton armé, que la porte a résisté à la destruction et s’élève désormais seule sur le podium du temple rasé.

Enfin, l’ouverture de la Syrie au tourisme de masse et le classement de Palmyre au patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO en 1980 ont fait du temple de Bel un haut lieu touristique, tandis que se poursuivaient encore récemment les travaux archéologiques.

Fig. 6 : Restauration de la porte du temple en 1932. Vue d’ensemble du chantier depuis le nord-ouest (cliché Ifpo) et isométrie des parties hautes, avec mise en évidence des éléments en béton armé (ECOCHARD, Syria 18, 1937, fig. XXXV).

2015, une mort annoncée ?

La chronologie des différents états du temple de Bel, et surtout les processus mis à l’œuvre dans les réaffectations qu’il a subies, trouvent de nombreux parallèles. Beaucoup d’édifices antiques ne sont parvenus jusqu’à nous qu’en raison de leurs réoccupations successives. Ces monuments doivent leur survie à ces transformations qui, en leur redonnant une fonction, les ont sauvés de l’abandon et du démantèlement. Cette pratique semble presque systématique lorsqu’il s’agit d’édifices religieux : l’aspect sacré du lieu, son topos, se perpétue souvent au fil des réoccupations. L’exemple de la mosquée des Omeyyades à Damas est ainsi emblématique et comparable à l’histoire du temple de Bel. Vaste sanctuaire romain consacré à Jupiter, ce monument fut transformé à l’époque byzantine en une église dédiée à Saint Jean-Baptiste, puis devint la mosquée principale du Califat omeyyade, au début du viiie s. Le statut de capitale de la ville, ainsi que son importance économique, ont fait de cette mosquée un édifice majeur.

Palmyre cependant n’est pas Damas, et la modestie des réoccupations a sans doute guidé les archéologues des années 30 dans leurs choix. Jugé insignifiant au regard du monument qui lui servait d’écrin, le village a été sacrifié, selon la logique patrimoniale sélective de l’époque. De ce qui alors était considéré comme une architecture de « squat », dénuée d’importance ou de qualités historiques, il ne reste pour ainsi dire rien, les destructions n’ayant malheureusement pas été accompagnées de travaux de documentation systématique. Les clichés aériens de l’époque permettent à peine de reconstituer le dense réseau des ruelles du village et de suivre le gigantesque chantier qu’a dû être sa destruction (fig. 7).

Fig. 7 : Vues aériennes du sanctuaire de Bel, avant et en cours de dégagement (clichés Ifpo), avant et après sa destruction (clichés satellitaire Unitar-Unosat des 27 et 31 août 2015). Montage Th. Fournet.

Seule une maison, celle du mukhtar semble-t-il (équivalent du maire), fut préservée dans l’angle sud-est du temenos et transformée en maison de fouilles (fig. 8). L’idée des archéologues, toutefois, n’était sans doute pas de laisser un témoin de ce qui fut, mais plutôt de se ménager un logement à pied d’œuvre, dans l’une des plus belles maisons du village.

Fig. 8 : La « maison des archéologues », dans l’angle sud-est du temenos du sanctuaire de Bel, seul vestige du village qui l’occupait (clichés Ifpo, vers 1935 ?).

Que penser du choix opéré dans les années 1930 de déplacer un village et sa mosquée au profit de la mise en valeur d’un temple romain ? Avec le recul, il reflète parfaitement la hiérarchisation des périodes et des vestiges historiques pratiquée par les archéologues de la première moitié du xxe siècle, qui privilégiaient par principe l’antique au médiéval, le monumental au vernaculaire, le religieux au civil. Les diverses chartes internationales qui ont vu le jour depuis ont sensiblement fait évoluer cette conception du patrimoine ancien. Il nous semble évident – nous l’espérons en tout cas – que, si se posait aujourd’hui à nouveau la question de la mise en valeur du temple de Bel, un choix moins radical serait adopté. La charte d’Athènes, dès 1931, l’exprime clairement lorsqu’elle recommande « de maintenir l’occupation des monuments, qui assure la continuité de leur vie ». Vider le sanctuaire de Bel de son village médiéval, aussi modeste fût-il, pour permettre au temple de retrouver son intégrité antique, sa « résurrection » comme l’écrit Ernest Will, relevait en fait de la taxidermie : le monument, transformé, réaffecté, mais encore « habité », a subi une première mort en devenant ruine, aussi superbe fût-elle.

Une question peut être posée, même si elle apparaît bien vaine face à la sauvagerie et à la bêtise à l’œuvre aujourd’hui : quel regard les assassins de l’E.I. auraient-ils porté sur le sanctuaire de Bel si les choix des archéologues français du début du xxe s. avaient été différents ? Si le temple, plutôt que d’avoir été restauré et figé dans son état antique, avait été conservé au cœur d’un village habité ? Auraient-ils vu en lui le représentant d’un patrimoine décrété universel par une culture « occidentale » dont ils se défient, patrimoine voué de fait à une destruction symbolique ?

Sa porte imposante se dresse aujourd’hui seule au-dessus d’un tas de gravats, tel un monument dédié à sa propre mémoire, à celle de notre regretté et respecté collègue Khaled Al-Asaad, à celle du temple de Baalshamin, de l’arc monumental et de tant d’autres monuments détruits, à Palmyre et ailleurs. Nos pensées, à nous archéologues de l’Ifpo, vont à tous les Palmyréniens, à tous les Syriens, qui depuis plus de quatre ans souffrent dans leur chair, dans leur âme et jusque dans leurs pierres.


Fig. 9 : Relevé d’un décor ornant une des poutres du sanctuaire de Bel, représentant une procession (SEYRIG, AMY, WILL, 1968-1975) © Institut Français du Proche-Orient.

Les auteurs remercient chaleureusement Frédéric Alpi, Jean-Baptiste Yon, Maurice Sartre et Annie Sartre-Fauriat pour leur relecture.

Pour en savoir plus :
  • En ligne : Palmyre, fouilles archéologiques (Fanny Arlandis) / Photothèque de l’ifpo (MediHAL)
  • Ecochard Michel, « Consolidation et restauration du portail du temple de Bêl à Palmyre », Syria 18, 1937, p. 298-307.
  • Hammad Manar, “Le sanctuaire de Bel à Tadmor-Palmyre”, dans Lire l’espace, comprendre l’architecture, 2006 (accessible en ligne)
  • Jastrzębowska Elżbieta, « Christianisation of Palmyra: Early Byzantine Church in the temple of Bel », Studia Palmyreńskie 12, Fifty Years of Polish Excavations in Palmyra 1959-2009, International Conference, Warsaw, 6-8 December 2010, 2013, p. 177-191.
  • Sartre Annie et Maurice , Zénobie, de Palmyre à Rome, Paris, 2014.
  • Sauvaget Jean, « Les inscriptions arabes du temple de Bel à Palmyre », Syria 12, 1931, p. 143-54
  • Seyrig Henri, Amy Robert, Will Ernest, Le Temple de Bêl à Palmyre, 2 vol. (Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique 83), Paris, 1968-1975.
  • Wiegang Theodor (ed.), Palmyra. Ergebnisse der Expeditionen von 1902 und 1917, 2 vol., Berlin, 1932 (accessible en ligne).
  • Yon Jean-Baptiste, Les notables de Palmyre (Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique 163), Beyrouth, 2002 (accessible en ligne).
  • Yon Jean-Baptiste, As’ad Khaled, avec la collab. de Fournet Thibaud, Inscriptions de Palmyre : promenades épigraphiques dans la ville antique de Palmyre, Beyrouth, 2001.
Pour citer ce billet : C. Durand, Th. Fournet, P. Piraud-Fournet, « Bel est bien mort. In memoriam, Palmyre (6 avr. 32 – 28 août 2015) », Les Carnets de l’Ifpo. La recherche en train de se faire à l’Institut français du Proche-Orient (, 5 octobre 2015. [En  ligne]

Caroline Durand est archéologue, chercheuse à l’Ifpo Amman depuis septembre 2012. Sa thèse de doctorat (Lyon 2) portait sur le rôle du royaume nabatéen dans les réseaux caravaniers et maritimes qui reliaient le Proche-Orient à l’océan Indien et au bassin méditerranéen aux époques hellénistique et romaine. Son intérêt pour les échanges commerciaux et culturels dans l’Antiquité l’a amenée à se spécialiser dans l’étude du matériel archéologique, en particulier la céramique. Elle collabore en tant que céramologue à plusieurs programmes archéologiques à Dharih, Pétra (Jordanie), Mada’in Saleh, Dumat (Arabie Saoudite) et Failaka (Koweit).

Thibaud Fournet est architecte et archéologue au CNRS, actuellement affecté à l’Ifpo, à Amman (Jordanie). Ses travaux portent principalement sur l’architecture et l’urbanisme du monde antique méditerranéen et, plus particulièrement, sur le Proche-Orient gréco-romain (Syrie, Liban, Jordanie, Egypte). Il collabore depuis de longues années à la mission archéologique française en Syrie du Sud (Bosra aux portes de l’Arabie) et mène depuis plusieurs années des recherches sur l’histoire du bain collectif en Méditerranée orientale, depuis les balaneia grecs et les thermes romains jusqu’aux hammams contemporains. Il a notamment travaillé sur les « bains de Dioclétien » à Palmyre.

Pauline Piraud-Fournet est archéologue et poursuit sa thèse d’archéologie (Paris IV-Sorbonne) sur l’habitat de la fin de l’Antiquité en Syrie. Elle a passé un diplôme d’architecte (ENSAL) pour se spécialiser dans la recherche en architecture antique. Elle travaille depuis de nombreuses années avec l’Ifpo, le Ministère français des Affaires Etrangères et le CNRS, sur plusieurs sites archéologiques du Proche-Orient (Liban, Jordanie, Syrie, dont Palmyre) en Tunisie, en Egypte, s’intéressant aux sanctuaires, à l’architecture funéraire, à l’habitat. Elle a occupé, de 2006 à 2012, le poste d’architecte pour le département scientifique Archéologie et histoire de l’Antiquité de l’Ifpo, à Damas, puis à Amman.

التصنيفات: Ifpo

Local engagements in the Palestinian refugee camps of Beirut: a case of depoliticisation?

21 September, 2015 - 14:06

Camp de Mar Elias, Beyrouth © Alex Mahoudeau, Avril 2015

The development of NGOs is commonly seen as leading to a depoliticisation of the Palestinian community in Lebanon because of their focus on development projects and social questions. Yet, I argue that engagement in these cases is better seen as a process of “politicisation under constraint” (Vairel and Zaki, 2011) rather than depoliticisation.

“NGOisation” or depoliticisation

Since the end of the Lebanese Civil War, the Palestinian refugee camps have seen a transformation in their political organisation. Non-governmental organisations (NGOs) have developed along with actors more directly labelled as political, notably parties and the Popular Committees (PCs) named by the parties, to play the role of municipalities in the camps. This development is partly linked to the shrinking of the partisan organisations’ resources after the departure of the Palestinian Liberation Organisation from the country in 1982.

The effect of this change on the politicisation of the camps’ communities has been debated among scholars in recent years. According to Islah Jad, the growing role of the NGOs in the Palestinian political world leads to a decrease in social movements and political mobilisation (2010), due to the NGOs’ organisational structure as much as their functioning by projects. Meanwhile, these actors diffused a formulation of the communities’ issues in technical and apolitical terms in order to mobilise international funding (Hanafi and Tabar, 2003). Finally, the emergence of actors in competition with the PCs, including the NGOs has been associated with a decline of trust towards politics in the camps (Kortam, 2011).

Seeing social and political engagement through the urban lens

This report is based on fieldwork led between November 2014 and May 2015 in the camps of Shatila, Burj al-Barajneh and Mar Elias, aiming to investigate the relationship between the space of the camps and social engagement within them. The main aim of this research is to understand the role of place-belonging in the shaping of activism, and how space matters in the types of mobilisation observed.

Data was collected via participant observation and 37 ethnographic interviews mainly with activists and cadres of three organisations – but also with donors and PC members – engaging in these camps on questions of urban services provision (such as electricity, water and sewage) in addition to humanitarian redistribution or community support. This engagement took the form of actions of lobbying, demonstration, and organisation of awareness raising campaigns consisting in debates with camp inhabitants or authorities. The three groups self-identified as upholding activism, and “activist” was used as a generic term in these organisations when referring to their members, in a situation between employment and volunteering. The first one is a Palestinian NGO mainly targeting Palestinian women; the second a group of local youth activists supported by a company specialised in funding urban development projects in the camps; the last one a self-sustained community centre created from youth activists in the camp of Burj al-Barajneh.

Rejection of the political appeared prominently in the discourse of most informants, who kept the political reference distant from their activity and claimed a clear distinction between “the social” [iǧtimāʿī] and “the political” [siyāsī]. This was particularly true for those who never engaged in other organisations but the NGOs. Yet this distinction was also prominent during the interviews of actors who openly talked politics and expressed the desire to realise social – and occasionally institutional – change through their engagement.

Talking services, avoiding politics

The informants – including non-members of the studied organisations – generally emphasised the importance of issues related to urban services and including education, the right to work, and access to medicine – all categorised as “problems of the camp” [mašākil al-muḫayyam]. These problems were mostly publicised by a group of professionalised association members. These activists resorted to representations and modes of action inspired by the practices of the international NGOs. The three organisations under study engaged in actions belonging both to contentious politics and social work.

Even when they took a broader perspective on the problems, most informants euphemised any political significance of their actions as “only wanting to improve people’s lives” or “wanting to do something for the camp”. In an interview following a demonstration that occurred in January 2015 concerning the problems of water, electricity, sewage and access of Syrian children to specific classes, a protester explained:

These demands are demands, I don’t know how to say they are everyday demands, for improving the life of people, enough with politics already. We do not demand a change of the system or anything like that. We do not care about the political problems the problems we care about are the problems of the people. These are everyday problems. […] Do you consider that the problem of the infrastructure, for instance, or the problem of education are political problems? […] For me it’s obvious that it’s not the same thing. The problems we talk about are everyday problems, that concerns the people in general, their needs. Their needs for living. These are not demands related to politics, these are not.

Avoiding the political was not specific to the NGOs. In early 2015, the group of local youth activists organised a series of meetings on the “problems of the camp” in Shatila and invited inhabitants, PC and party members (among which Fatah, the PFLP, and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad), and NGOs. All actors, whatever their status, introduced themselves as “son of the camps” [ibn al-muḫayyam] or “daughter of the camps” [bint al-muḫayyam] and euphemised their political affiliations even if those were acknowledged. Despite these claims, the core of the debate remained the reform of the PCs, that was deemed inefficient. Thus, it appeared that claiming apolitism was not a sign of lack of political motives, but a requirement to talk about the “problems of the camp”.

“Depoliticisation”, an ambivalent category

Restricting the definition of engagement in social questions to a depoliticised engagement fits neither the representations emerging from the actors, nor the goals of the organisations. Indeed the interviews showed that the activists did not merely aim at providing a service and referred to their action as attempts to serve the general interest extending it to a general interest and identifying opponents. More than rejection of the political, the issue is in part defining to what extent a social engagement aimed at a whole community is political or not. To approach the political, when the idea of “being political” was delegitimised, activists had to claim apolitical-ness or question the definition of politics. This is illustrated by the interview with a cadre of the same organisation, in February 2015:

As soon as the Palestinian people is concerned, there is a political issue […].How can one person think when one is poor? That’s why if you’re improving the social… it is a political act in itself! […] You know, it can be seen as running away from politics, but the people who say “Bla bla it’s not doing politics” they don’t see that no, it is a political act. Whether it is perceived as politics or not.

Yet, in order to tackle issues identified as social, actors feel compelled to label it as apolitical, or non-partisan: the pressure comes from the funders and the public alike, not as much because of a depoliticisation of the actors but because of the constraints placed by the “NGO-type” vocabulary describing motives. Behind the clear rejection of the political lies a form of politicisation that does not tell its name. In the situation of the three camps of Beirut, direct political claims belong to the parties, and are not associated to social issues. In that context avoiding the political appears as a way to express contention.

The main pitfall of analysing social engagement in the camps in terms of depoliticisation seems to be the reification of the concept of political. By defining “politics” in a restricted fashion, the question of how collective issues are effectively approached in the camps is overlooked. The association of “political” to “partisan” was systematic, and what appeared in these three camps was that the rejection of a political character is seen as the only way for certain actors to legitimately tackle political issues.

  • Bianchi S., 2012, “Towards a New National Imaginary? The Transformation of Social Work within the Palestinian Community in Lebanon”, in Caroline Abu-Sada and Benoît Challand (eds.), Le développement, une affaire d’ONG ? Associations, États et bailleurs dans le monde arabe, Paris, Beirut : Karthala, Ifpo, Iremam.
  • Hanafi S. and Tabar L., 2005, The Emergence of a Palestinian Globalized Elite: Donors, International Organizations and Local NGOs, Jerusalem, Institute of Jerusalem Studies & Muwatin, The Palestinian Institute for the Study of Democracy.
  • Jad I., 2010, “NGOs, between buzzwords and social movements”, in Andrea CORNWALL and Deborah EADE, Deconstructing Development Discourse. Buzzwords and Fuzzwords, Bourton on Dunsmore, Practical Action Publishing.
  • Kortam M., 2011, “Politics, Patronage and Popular Committees in the Shatila Refugee Camp”, in Are KNUDSEN and Sari HANAFI (eds.), Palestinian refugees, identity, place and space in the Levant, London, Routledge.
  • Vairel F. and Zaki L., 2011, “Politisation sous contrainte et politisation de la contrainte : outsiders politiques et outsiders de la ville au Maroc”, Critique internationale, vol. 1, n° 50. Pour citer ce billet : Alex Mahoudeau, « Local engagements in the Palestinian refugee camps of Beirut: a case of depoliticisation? », Les Carnets de l’Ifpo. La recherche en train de se faire à l’Institut français du Proche-Orient (, 21 septembre 2015. [En  ligne]

    Alex Mahoudeau a commencé, en octobre 2013, un doctorat en science politique à la School of Government and International Affairs de l’université de Durham. Depuis septembre 2015, il prolonge cette thèse au Department of Middle Eastern Studies du King’s College de Londres, sous la direction de Jeroen Gunning. Ses recherches portent sur l’analyse par l’espace des mouvements sociaux dans les camps de réfugiés palestiniens de Beyrouth de la période post-accords de Taëf. Le principal objectif de sa thèse est d’analyser la façon dont l’espace vécu des camps est employé comme médiation dans la formulation des problèmes publics et de la politisation en leur sein.

التصنيفات: Ifpo